Sunday, October 28, 2018

October Catching Up



I've just been having a delightful time now once again having terrible luck with uploading new pictures to my computer. Bottom line " I Hate Windows 10".  I never had this problem before; but it's been ongoing for two years now so since I've spent the last two hours trying to get my pictures with little to no progress I will just go with what I have.

The picture above is a huge dough bowl that I was fortunate to find this summer at the 301 endless yard sale.  I really enjoy that sale; we spend two days traveling from one end on NC to the other shopping and looking and discovering so many new things. This dough bowl is four feet long; my plan is to fill it with autumn gourds, flowers and pumpkins. I remember these being used when I was a child. The women would cook large meals for the family and farm workers and these dough bowls could make a lot of biscuits.  



 Another absolutely amazing find was this old firkin.  When I moved to Rocky Mount as a child there was a BBQ restaurant just down the road a few blocks. It was operated by Mr. Bob Melton and though it's been gone for many years it still has the reputation of having the best Eastern NC BBQ. It sat right by the river and you could dine while looking out over the Tar River. This old bucket had belonged to Bob Melton's family;  it came from the family farm and it was used to measure sugar for the sweet iced tea that all we Southerners just can't get enough of. I've brought it home and you can still smell the sugar.  



Another great find at a different sale was a group of stained glass windows from an old local church  that had been torn down many years ago. This isn't a good picture but it's the best windows 10 would let me load.



Finally I was able to down load a couple of pictures of my latest treasure. I've always wanted an old Hoosier Cabinet and here she is. She's in her temporary space in this picture and I've since done some decorating but haven't been able to get those pictures. I learned to cook standing beside my granny in front of one like this.   


I was also able to get one picture of my grand doggie Jasper on his velvet chaise lounge. No; we don't spoil them much.





And finally I want to post this amazing gift. Many years ago my stepfather ran for city council. I can't remember the year but it would have been in the 60's. When mother's house flooded during Floyd so many years ago almost all of our pictures were destroyed. A few weeks ago a dear friend stopped by my work place at lunch time. He owns and operates The Hot Dog Stand, another local landmark and also owns the building that used to be my dad's Barber Shop. He found this poster and brought it to me and I can never say how happy it made me.
I hope everyone has a wonderful week and I will be back soon. 

6 comments:

  1. What wonderful finds...especially the poster! How great to get something back that was a part of your family. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Constance. I am so glad for your visit and I enjoyed your post too. Those old dough bowls are spectacular and I have always wanted one. I have always dreamed of going to the yard sales they have back in your area. I imagine there are many treasures to be found there. Your little granddoggie looks like he has a place of honor to sleep. Hope you will visit again..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. What a great gesture for the man to send you the poster. I bet you never guessed you would have that..

      Delete
    2. Hi Judy,

      I never thought to see one again and it was an amazing surprise from a dear old friend. I'm getting copies so all of the kids and Grand kids can have one. Take care

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your visit, Constance. I had a good time making those velvet pumpkins and am trying to come up with an idea to use them for something besides fall pretties..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Constance,
    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!
    What wonderful treasures you have found. That is one HUGE trencher.
    Window 10 and I don't play together well, either 😡😡😡

    ReplyDelete

Blessed Soltice

As we welcome the coming of new light let us spend time reflecting on the days and loved ones past. Remember that we are a part of what life...