Monday, October 5, 2009

Things I made & the Boy

I just had to post one more picture of this child. We are calling him Windsor since that is where we believe he lived. Can you see those pale blue eyes? The light makes it appear brighter than it is but even in the best light this little child is so pale, he seems fragile in a way.

Now when I started this blog I really thought that by now I would be posting lots of the sewing and crafting and designing that I love to do. Unfortunately that all changed. The department that I work in has downsized from seven people to three. The work load hasn't changed; we still have the same number of clients so this means the three of us are now doing the work of seven. I really am grateful because I could have been one of the four people that no longer have a job but by the time I get home I just haven't the energy to put into the things that I love to do. So I did post a few pictures of some things that I've made.


This little pumpkin is made from cloth and painted and crubbied up. I have some beautiful antique orange velvet that I will make a pumpkin from this year if it takes me till Christmas.
This is a quilt that I made a few years ago. It's hand pieced, all the appliques are done by hand and hand quilted. I really love quilting. Sorry I posted the same picture twice again (still can't figure out how to take em off when I do that.





These are paper mache pumpkins that I buy at Micheal's. I just paint and age them. It's so easy so I have about 10 more that I'll get done this week. (maybe)
.
And finally yesterday I tried my hand at making an old grubby jar. I didn't have a recipe so I made up my own brew to do this and it turned OK for a first try. I wish the pictures were better because I really was pleased with the way it turned out. This one I made for a joke at work and everyone loved it. On the label it says, Laudanum ( this was a pain medicine in the 1800's but it was sometimes prescribed for women just so their husbands could control them. 90 % opium and 10% morphine)- for women's complaints. A guaranteed remedy to cure all afflictions prone to affect the frail and delicate female sex.



I plan to make three of these for Halloween, I'd better get busy. I'll try to get a better picture of those when I finish them. Have a great week.





3 comments:

  1. Wonderful pumpkins!
    I really love the quilt...I quilt but haven't made one since last year.
    Funny, when I started my blog I had all kinds of ideas of crafty things I'd make and share...maybe next year I'll be more focused?!

    Looking forward to seeing more pics of those jars!!

    xo,
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Thank you so much for the kind words you left!
    I debated over even mentioning my eye problem...but if it made someone think to get theirs checked that's good!
    I always enjoy visiting your blog...
    you take the best pictures. They have a very soft, quiet feel about them.

    best to you,

    jen

    everyone calls me jennifer, but it takes too long to type!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your delightful seasonal goodies for bringing the harvest time into the home.
    Now for the boy... there is a 1926 era advertisement for Martha Washington shoes made by the F.Mayer Boot and Shoe Co. Milwaukee, Wisc.on Ebay right now.
    Also the Old Stone House in Washington DC was built in 1816 by Martha Castis Peter... Martha Washington's grandaughter. It was purchased by Eugene Meyer owner of the Washington Post (bought in the 1930's) and became the National Headquarters of the National Council of Negro Women from 1943 to 1955.
    Perhaps some of this info will help you date the picture.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Blessed Soltice

As we welcome the coming of new light let us spend time reflecting on the days and loved ones past. Remember that we are a part of what life...